Our Program is dynamic. Its commitments are reviewed regularly to reflect the completion of targets and to include new challenges as they arise. Since 2002, the Vinyl Council of Australia has reported regularly on the performance of the Australian vinyl industry.The information and data collected through the program has helped inform industry and stakeholders, influence product design and ensure the Australian PVC industry continues to innovate.
The program has resulted in improvements in health and environmental impacts of vinyl products in Australia through:
- reduced emissions,
- avoidance of mercury in upstream processes,
- phasing out lead and cadmium additives,
- substitution of low molecular weight phthalate plasticisers,
- improvements in recycling and waste management, and
- adoption of life cycle thinking in development of new products.
Stakeholder feedback, signatory reporting and expert scientific and technical research help to maintain the Program's relevance and effectiveness. The Program's latest results include:
- A record 20 Signatory companies achieving Excellence (full compliance) in PVC Stewardship. View the list here.
- Eighty percent of Signatories achieved at least 80% compliance with program commitments relevant to their business.
- Over 80% of Signatories have embedded the PVC Stewardship commitments into their business management systems.
- Increasing use of PVC recyclate in the manufacturing of new products in Australia
Below is a snapshot of the latest verified results. Read or download our PVC Stewardship annual progress reports here.